The village of Fenelon Falls is located in the Kawartha Lakes Region of Central Ontario. Known as the "Jewel of the Kawarthas". Fenelon Falls is also home to Lock 34 along the Trent-Severn Waterway.
Fenelon Falls was incorporated into a village in 1874. The area around Fenelon Falls was surveyed between 1823-1835. Many early settlers were part of the group of Irish immigrants brought to the Kawartha Lakes Region by Peter Robinson, whom the City of Peterborough is named after.
Originally called Cameron Falls, the name was eventually changed to Fenelon Falls in honour of François de Salignac de la Mothe-Fénelon, a Sulpician missionary who ministered to the Native people north of Lake Ontario from 1668-1670.
With water-power generated by the falls, mills began to spring up, bringing more settlers and prosperity to the area. However the remote location made the transfer of goods from major markets extremely difficult. Lock 34 was constructed in 1885 allowing boats to travel between Sturgeon and Cameron Lakes. The entire length of the Trent-Severn Waterway had yet to be completed.
Fenelon Falls is a popular summer tourist destination, especially with boaters travelling the Trent-Sehhhvern Waterway. Restaurants and groceries are within easy walking distance of the canal.
Region 1: Southwest Ontario • Region 2: Niagara Canada • Region 3: Hamilton, Halton and Brant • Region 4: Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington • Region 5: Greater Toronto Area • Region 6: York, Durham and the Hills of Headwaters • Region 7: Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe • Region 8: Kawarthas and Northumberland • Region 9: South Eastern Ontario • Region 10: Ottawa and Countryside • Region 11: Haliburton Highlands to the Ottawa Valley • Region 12: Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park • Region 13a: North Eastern Ontario • Region 13b: Sault Ste. Marie – Algoma • Region 13c: Northwest Ontario