The Cove Island Lighthouse, located on the Northeast shore of Cove Island at Gig Point, five miles north of the Bruce Peninsula was officially opened on October 30. 1858. Since then it's light has guided sailors navigating the dangerous Main Channel between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron.
The Cove Island Lighthouse is part of the Fathom Five National Marine Park. The lighthouse is 24.4 m (80 ft.) tall and contains 115 steps. The entire lightstation contains the lighthouse tower, the original house, a fog-alarm plant, a workshop, and a lightkeeper's cottage. The original light was fuelled by sperm whale oil. By 1950 an on-site generator provided the power to operate the lighthouse and in 1971 an underwater cable was installed from Tobermory to Cove island, providing the lighthouse with electricity. The ferry from Tobermory passes by the Cove Island lighthouse on it's way to Manitoulin Island. Access to the lighthouse is by private boat. There are no washroom or tourist facilities.
Region 1: Southwest Ontario • Region 2: Niagara Canada • Region 3: Hamilton, Halton and Brant • Region 4: Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington • Region 5: Greater Toronto Area • Region 6: York, Durham and the Hills of Headwaters • Region 7: Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe • Region 8: Kawarthas and Northumberland • Region 9: South Eastern Ontario • Region 10: Ottawa and Countryside • Region 11: Haliburton Highlands to the Ottawa Valley • Region 12: Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park • Region 13a: North Eastern Ontario • Region 13b: Sault Ste. Marie – Algoma • Region 13c: Northwest Ontario